Theological Snapshot (Always in Progress)


I used to notice a certain kind of “feeling” after meditation when I would sit on my back porch above the garden late at night.  I could hear the sounds of the deer down by the creek in the distance, and on a clear summer night smell the pine and forest.  Today it’s more difficult for me to “enjoy” such a first person phenomenological experience as I bemusedly and ironically note my positionality while “it” all seems so harmonious and unified.  I still wonder what “it” is, the multifaceted flow of sensory experience, feelings and powers greater than myself that converge in the field of unlimited potential of those suspended moments of genuflection reductively labeled “meeting God.”

For me, I take a moment to relish in the unusual opportunity to use the first person pronoun, I AM, I I I.  OK.  Philosophically I rebel against Kantian dualism, the Cartesian dialectic, premodern simplicity, modern structuralism and even the postmodern sterility of intersubjective context.  I situate myself somewhere that includes all these epistemologies yet simultaneously rejects their absolutist arrogance.  As I gingerly step onto the stage of the Unity Licensure and Ordination process, I find myself wrestling with the ontological referents of Hasselbeckian metaphysics that reduces reality to a dichotomous universe bifurcated into Absolute/Relative realms where the God-Law Ideated me as a corporal moral agent who willingly chooses that which hits or misses the “mark,” the Highest Good- revealed merely by sitting in the Silence.  Kind of like being touched by that Sybok guy from Star Trek V and having an instant epiphany.  Neato.

My embedded theology has moved away from this kind of simplistic faith, that of the Catholic altar boy who ultimately graduated as the Valedictorian from the Jesuit-run Seminary for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles through years of academic training as a folklorist/cultural anthropologist and finally through legal training as an attorney and metaphysical training through various schools and ultimately at Unity.  All these twists and turns have helped me evolve through faith and doubt.  Simple first person phenomenology is blind to its limits and fails to take into account postmodern approaches that illuminate intersubjective contexts and cultural embeddedness of what speech-act theorist Jurgen Habermas calls the “philosophy of consciousness”- stretching all the way back to Foucault.

I know a spirituality that is the transcendence of forms in favor of a trans-essentialist, multi-contextual approach that includes whatever truth is to be had in any aspect- first person, second person, third, etc., as well as whatever perspectives about those positions can teach me.  I don’t do the question of evil, for me theodicy doesn’t exist- I assume a deep ontological connection between all experiences and anything to contrary is simple necrophilia.  I know a theology that is cognitive and experiential, of commitment and relaxation, requiring both knowledge and action.  I lightly hold an Augustinian and Unity view that assumes love is the backdrop of the play of life.  I know that any enlightenment state can be realized at any stage of development, and look for more of the same.

6 comments:

DrTom said...

You wrote: "I find myself wrestling with the ontological referents of Hasselbeckian metaphysics that reduces reality to a dichotomous universe bifurcated into Absolute/Relative realms..."

Now, some might say the about comment is just showing off, but I felt more like one of Pavlov's dogs responding to the high-resonance of a theological bell. Arguably, one could critique the ontology of a neo-Paltonic Absolute/ Relative metaphysic on many grounds, not the least of which is opportunism: any "relative" experience which presents conflicts within exitential reality is swept under the rug of the Absolute. Dr. Hasselbeck and I have this argument regularly, sometimes literally in the elevator. So far, he hasn't slashed my tires, so I guess genuine critical dialogue is alive and well at Unity Village.

More about that later. Welcome to class.

Unknown said...

I wish those elevator talks would find themselves into some books that would revamp the same 'ole same 'ole that passes for Unity's version of the Deep Thought computer. I wish it were showing off- this stuff is just really alive for me right now because I'm really frustrated by what I perceive as a lack of movement. I'm trying to use as precise a language as possible given the eternal problem of the signifer vs. signified. I'm thinking more and more that it is simply some puerile teenager rebellion within me or some kind of 3rd century brought to the present illuminati schema that operates behind the neoplatonic walls (aka my idea of "Matrix" theology lol) throwing out dog bone sparkly structures for me to play with to obfuscate the true agenda. Sigh. I'm going to go watch Battlestar Galactica now.

Unknown said...

I've spent the last two years in the depths of the inner most workings of a large Unity church ministry. To be able to communicate with the board, the volunteers and the top donors I have had to simplify my vocabulary and messaging significantly. So I may or may not have understood all of this...and at the risk of being too simple, I offer this quote from Emmet Fox to support you on your journey. Take it or leave it, I am not attached, its simply what I am inspired to share right now.

“There is no difficulty that enough love will not conquer: no disease that love will not heal: no door that enough love will not open...It makes no difference how deep set the trouble: how hopeless the outlook: how muddled the tangle: how great the mistake. A sufficient realization of love will dissolve it all. If only you could love enough you would be the happiest and most powerful being in the world...” Peace, Marj

Lonnie Vanderslice said...

Thank you Anthony, for sharing these thoughts. I have to admit that at the moment I am in shallow waters... just learning some of this... so the comment I connected with was this one:

"All these twists and turns have helped me evolve through faith and doubt."

I understand the evolving through doubt... not sure I understand evolving through faith.

I will re-read your post as we process through this class - and I know that I will get a greater understanding of some of the other concepts that you mention.

I enjoyed your response to my post, and responded in the comments there.

Blessings,
Lonnie

Jacquie Fernandez-Lenati said...

I thought I commented yesterday, but I was having so many problems with CAPTCHA and I don't see my comment- so I'll try again! I enjoyed reading your post, especially in the ways it presents a rant at that which you rebel against- only to later admit in which ways you embrace certain aspects of various theories. I can totally relate to you as a rebel of sorts and I appreciate the way we have conntected in class. I often find myself rebelling even against myself- my thoughts, ideas, and feelings. In that process, it allows me to lose attachment and then go back and get what is true and reliable...much in the same way you have processed through various paradigm and theory, reject/rebel and then take back what speaks to you. In that rebellion, a space can be created to transform, transcend, and transgress present limitation.

A standing ovation for the play of life presented with a backdrop of love!!! Bravo!!!

Unknown said...

Wow Anthony,
Your writing style quickly caught me up in the remembrance of the feeling of God that comes to me when I’m totally relaxed and allowing it. The moments in time when nothing else matters but seeking the kingdom, all cares pass away, and I fairly tremble at times. Not from fear, but by the shear enthusiasm of just being. The enlightenment stage that you speak of that can happen at any point in development, for me, is always an “aha” moment. Each one brings me to a higher state of consciousness, each happening in the time and space for the enfoldment of my highest good, and not ever before I’m ready, open, and willing to allow for it.
Blessings,
Elise

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Quaere Verum